Behind-the-Scenes @ the UK’s fusion research centre UKAEA – Culham Science Centre
The UK Atomic Energy Authority (UKAEA) is responsible for the UK’s fusion research programme – working to harness the power source of the stars, as a future source of low carbon, safe and abundant electricity here on Earth.
UKAEA researches fusion and related technologies, with the aim of positioning the UK as a leader in developing fusion as a future low carbon source of electricity.
UKAEA manages the UK fusion programme at its Culham Science Centre HQ, near Oxford and a technology centre in Rotherham, Yorkshire. UKAEA scientists and engineers are working with partners around the globe to develop fusion as a new source of sustainable energy for tomorrow’s power stations.
A growing technology programme in areas such as robotics, materials testing, fuel supply and component testing is working with key partners to meet the practical challenges of putting fusion on the grid for future generations.
This exclusive visit will include an introduction to UKAEA’s work, and tours of the JET and MAST Upgrade fusion experiments.
The current programme is as follows:
10:00 – 10:30 Arrival to Culham Science Centre and welcome refreshments (suggestions of train times or car parking arrangements will be made nearer the time)
10:30 – 11:15 Introductory talk on Fusion
11:15 – 11:45 Q & A for the team
11:45 – 12:30 Lunch provided by UKAEA
12:40 – 13:50 Tours of JET; the Joint European Torus, the world’s largest and most advanced tokamak
14:00 – 14:30 Tour of MAST-UL: the Mega Amp Spherical Tokamak Upgrade, the UK’s national fusion experiment. MAST-U is the first tokamak to trial a new approach in tackling the exhaust of spent fuel and heat ejected from the tokamak
14:30 – 14:40 Prepare to depart.
Please be aware of some general visit information from our hosts before booking:
- All visitors will need to bring photo ID to show on arrival to be issued with their site pass to come onto the Culham Site. This needs to be current passport or driving licence
- We would like to make you aware that there will be a significant amount of walking during the tour so it is advisable to wear comfortable shoes
- Please let us know in advance if you have any special mobility needs so that we can make arrangements for you to visit the facilities
- Please could you let us know if any of the group have a pacemaker, or an automatic drug dispenser fitted as a medical implant, as this may affect access to some parts of the Culham tour
- We are happy for visitors to take photos during the JET tour – please ask you guide for confirmation to do so
- Covid protocol will be reviewed and sent out nearer the time.
This event is part of an exclusive programme of in-person visits for Members. Each event gives Members of Friends of Imperial College and their guest’s unique access to facilities and research departments with our Behind-the-Scenes events in Imperial and beyond!
If you are already a Member you are welcome to book tickets below for you and your guest. Your confirmation email will act as your ticket and a full event itinerary will be sent to you nearer to the event date.
The cost of each place assists with Friends administration costs and the overall running of the charity, there is no charge in connection to visiting UKAEA. They are also generously providing complimentary refreshments and a light lunch for everyone.
If you are not a Member and would like to book for this event, as well as enjoying the wide range of other benefits annual Membership brings, visit the 'Join Friends' page here.
Simply book a Membership from only £25 per annum, and then book a ticket or two from the list below.
Due to their very nature, places at these exclusive events are limited in number so do book early for these!
Image courtesy of EUROfusion